Upward Bound Renewed at Truman

Truman’s Upward Bound Project recently secured funding through the U.S. Department of Education to continue operations through the next five years.

One of eight Federal TRIO Programs designed to help students overcome class, social, academic and cultural barriers to higher education, Upward Bound has existed on Truman’s campus since 1965 and serves selected students at target high schools in six counties in northeast Missouri. It assists high school students who are the first in their family to attend college and from income-eligible backgrounds in building the skills and motivation necessary for college success. Upward Bound does this by providing selected students with academic skill development, tutoring, college/career assistance and social/cultural exposure through a year-round support program from the sophomore to senior years in high school. Rising 11th and 12th grade students also participate in a six-week, in-residence summer session on Truman’s campus that provides academic preparation for classes taken in high school the subsequent year and ACT preparation, as well as personal support and motivation towards attainment of a college degree.  

Upward Bound provides services to at least 90 students each year to help them fulfill their education goals. Truman Upward Bound participants are five times more likely to complete a college degree than students with similar backgrounds who do not receive services.

For the 2017-18 program year, Upward Bound will receive 92 percent of total funding ($417,150) from the U.S. Department of Education, with the remaining 8 percent ($33,922) coming from the University. More information about the Truman Upward Bound Project can be found online at ub.truman.edu or by calling 660.785.4244.

To help document success, all past UB participants are asked to update their information regularly at ub.truman.edu by clicking on “Alumni” in the menu on the left. Yearbooks from prior years (1966-2016) have been digitized and can be viewed on the website as well.